Tuesday 24 June 2008

Message of Support from our MP

Thanks to Anne Main MP for sending us this message.

Dear All,

I just wanted to let you know that, unfortunately, I will not be able to be present at the planning meeting on Monday 30th when the Tesco proposal will be decided. I do not usually attend these Council meetings, but obviously when there is a big decision such as this I do my best to attend. Nevertheless, I have just received the Parliamentary business for Monday and it appears that we will be voting late into the night, as we often do, so I will be obliged to be in Westminster .

I hope that, in making their decision, the Council pays attention to the pollution and retail needs studies, as well as the potential of this development to “suck the life” out of St Albans, and squarely refuses this proposal. My understanding from recent conversations is that an officer at the Council is recommending a refusal of the plan and I hope that the committee accepts this recommendation.

I congratulate you on running such a good campaign against this proposal. However, as with many of these large proposals, I would anticipate that Tesco will appeal if the proposal is thrown out, and in that event we need to make sure that we get all our representations to the Planning Inspectorate to ensure they are aware of the strength of feeling in our community about this, and the strong arguments for the proposal to be rejected.

With best wishes,

Anne Main MP
Conservative Member of Parliament for St Albans
House of Commons

No comments: